Monday, October 6, 2014

Blogger's Block

Blogger's Block, sounds like some urban Lego kit don't you think? It is with this premise that I plan to approach the topic. Upon seeing the title, what was your first thought or interpretation, if any? Will she be writing about a street housing bloggers exclusively? Is it like Writer's Block, a commonly recognized term for staring at a blank piece of paper/screen? In this case, "block" implies something negative, preventing you from moving forward. Indeed, we all experience "blocks" in all facets of our lives. What if we thought of "block" as a piece of Lego, which would allow us to build or piece together ideas, just as I am doing right now?
I am painfully aware that the introductory paragraph is littered with question marks, but also note that each question is followed by a statement, if not necessarily an answer. What I am trying to say in a less than erudite way is the following: when faced with an obstacle, your body/mind identifies a stressor, and with that comes the fight or flight response. Ah...is it possible to choose? Not always in the physical sense, but certainly intellectually. I will be the first to admit that I gravitate towards flight, such a lovely word, implying levitation and movement. Fighting sounds aggressive and not altogether pleasant, unless that's your thing. In an ideal world, I would like flight to meet fight.
Enough with the battle of words (i.e. fight) and allow me to present my simple solution. Choose your flight behavior in such a way that it allows you to clear your mind but not stop thinking about what is personally meaningful. I can't tell you what that looks like for you. Maybe it means trolling or posting something on social media or the internet, a shameless plug for what I'm doing. Seriously though, my top two flights which invariably lead me to fight are exercise or a glass of wine, sometimes both but not at the same time. Then I do something silly with my bead inventory as Halloween is just around the corner. So that's how it went for me yesterday and why I decided to write on the subject. The exercise was the catalyst, not the wine, in case you're wondering...

Design and content copyright by Andrea Corwin ©2014. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment